Recipe of the month - Healthy Pancakes
• 50g self-raising flour
• 50g wholemeal or wholegrain flour
• 2 x eggs separated
• 150ml skimmed milk
• Berries, eg strawberries, blueberries
• Low-fat yoghurt
1. Sift the self-raising and wholemeal/wholegrain flour into a bowl (any remaining flour from the sieve can go in too). Add both egg yolks and a splash of milk and then stir into a thick paste. You can add any remaining milk but do it a little at a time to prevent lumps in the batter.
2. Whisk the egg whites separately until they stand up in stiff peaks and then fold them carefully into the batter – try not to squash out all the air.
3. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. When hot, pour in enough batter to make a pancake about 10cm across.
4. Cook for just under a minute or until bubbles begin to pop on the surface and the edges begin to look a little dry.
5. Carefully turn the pancake over and cook the other side for a similar time.
6. Add your favourite healthy snacks – we recommend blueberries and strawberries with a little low-fat fromage frais!